Ga terug   Lowland Lions Forums > Guild Wars 2 > Algemeen

Algemeen Plaats hier Guild Wars 2 gerelateerde zaken.

Reageren

Discussietools
Oud 3 september 2009, 07:30   #1
Didis
Guild Leader (LLL)

Didis's schermafbeelding

IGN: Didis
Interview met Jeff Grubb

http://www.killtenrats.com/2009/09/0...s-2-interview/

Interessant artikel...gaat o.a. in op de geschiedenis

Guild Wars 2 Interview

Posted by Ravious on September 2, 2009 in Guild Wars 2. 13 Comments

Guild Wars 2 is fast becoming one of the most anticipated MMO-type games since the release of the Guild Wars 2 trailer and follow up articles and interviews. Jeff Grubb – World Designer and Writer for Guild Wars 2 - just back from a busy time at Germany’s Gamescom, and he was graciously able to answer a few questions before heading off to PAX 2009, where ArenaNet will have plenty of events. (Be sure to check out their giveaway times for their 128-page Guild Wars 2 concept art book.) On to the questions!

Now that the gates have opened on Guild Wars 2 information, will any secrets to Guild Wars 1 be further explained, such as Bahltek, the undeciphered Asuran banner, or the giganticus lupicus?

Short answer – yes. It is the same world, so we will be using the lore and history of the world. What pieces get revealed and explained will develop as the story evolves. And just to drive you mad, at least one of the items listed will be addressed.

The focus of the story in the trailer seemed to be on the unification of the races and one elder dragon, Zhaitan. The other awakening dragons are only mentioned in passing. Will the first Guild Wars 2 story (campaign, story arc, etc.) deal primarily with Zhaitan and Orr, or will we encounter the other elder dragons as well?

The ultimate foe of Guild Wars 2 is Zhaitan, but the influences of the other dragons run deep through Tyria – Jormag’s worshippers are active among the Norn, Kralkatorrik’s brand is carved across the charr lands in Ascalon, and the minions of Primordus continue to surface across the land. But the story of GW2 leads to Orr, and the City of the Gods which is Zhaitan’s lair.

Why did the elder dragons awaken now, and nearly all at once?

By “nearly” you mean “once every fifty years or so over the past 250 years”. This is a lifetime in human terms, but an eyeblink in the history of the world. They are primordial powers that now are growing restive and unleashing their power on the world.

Why exactly are they waking up now? Unrevealed, but they are waking up hungry.

Humans are an interesting wild card in the Guild Wars world. What we know is they first appeared in Cantha, the Empire of the Dragon, and the now-called human gods were very relevant to all the lore built up in Guild Wars 1. Now, with the awakening of the elder dragons and waning of the human race, the human gods are less involved in the world of Tyria. Who or what created the human race and what is their point of origin? Why do the other races seem to hold so little value in the human gods, who allegedly “created” Tyria as we know it?

The full story of the origin of the humans has yet to be revealed. They arrived in the Tyria (the continent) sometime after they first appeared on Tyria (the world). It seems, from their previous appearances, that they have come up from the south, so the “human homeland” may be further south than Elona and Cantha. The idea of human gods “creating” Tyria is viewed by other races with mixed reactions. The charr think of it as theological propaganda (and that the human gods are not true gods, only more powerful, once-mortal, beings). The asura are perfectly willing to accept the idea of gods as (rather large) gears in the Eternal Alchemy. Norn are perfectly willing to allow the idea of gods, but think of them as a different type of their own animal spirits. The sylvari consider them unproven, since the gods have not shown their presence directly to the sylvari.

Which came first to the world of Tyria, the elder dragons or the human gods (current pantheon or predecessor pantheons)? Do they have any prior relationship, especially since the human gods created Glint, a dragon, to shepherd their creations?

The Dragons, as we said, have always been here. The gods predate the humans, but not by much. Much of what we know about Glint comes from Glint herself. The truth of the matter may be very different, and she has her own reasons for saying what she has said.

Kerrsh’s quest line in Eye of the North (ending with the quest The Path to Revelations) is a hotly debated topic on the lore forums. Why are the facets of the human gods depicted as dragons? Can the gods’ cryptic message be explained in terms of Guild Wars 2?

Dragons are power, and the facets reflect the nature of the power that the human gods have harnessed. Both the Asuran Central Transfer Chamber and the City of Arah were built on places of power, which turned out to be directly over Elder Dragons.

It is possible that the cryptic message refers to the Dragons – “a land unwaking” could be the risen kingdom of Orr, and answers to the origin of the dragons do lie there.

Dwarves are also an interesting race in that, according to the trailer, they actually had legends about Zhaitan. Given that they also had legends about the Great Destroyer, the dwarves seem to have much more knowledge about the elder dragons than the other races. What year were the dwarves created, and what legends did they have about Zhaitan?

As one of the elder races, dwarves know more about the Primordus, his minion the Great Destroyer, and their dragon kindred. Only a portion of that was written down in books such as the Tome of Rubicon, but the knowledge still survives elsewhere.

The Mursaat was one of the favorite races of the players, even though their demise was caused by players’ hands. What can you tell us about the few Mursaat that were left after Eye of the North? What have they been up to for 250 years? Will they make an appearance in Guild Wars 2 or will more Mursaat Rallies have to be held?

The Mursaat are a favorite race here at ArenaNet as well, and we have a number of creatives that are big Mursaat fans (which is why they showed up in the Bonus Mission Packs). Their ultimate fate has yet to be revealed, so keep holding the rallies.

Thank you for your time!

Thanks for asking!

Laatst gewijzigd door Didis; 3 september 2009 om 23:26
Didis is offline   Met citaat reageren
Oud 3 september 2009, 09:00   #2
NexceveN
Officer (LLL1&2) / Global Mod

NexceveN's schermafbeelding

Naam: G.L.

IGN: NexceveN Van Croft
Erg goeie interview vragen. Eindelijk eens de nadruk op lore.

"In the kingdom of the blind, One-Eyed is king."
NexceveN is offline   Met citaat reageren
Oud 3 september 2009, 23:33   #3
Didis
Guild Leader (LLL)

Didis's schermafbeelding

The Tome of the Rubicon is an ancient book, written by the Great Dwarf himself, that tells how the Dwarven race was forged by their god on Anvil Rock. It describes the ancient battle between the Dwarven deity and the Great Destroyer, his arch-nemesis. However, not only does it contain lore on Dwarven past, but an ancient prophecy that details the Dwarven equivalent of the apocalypse, where the ancient battle of the two gods will be repeated, and no matter what the outcome, changing (or ending) the Dwarven race in the process forever.

This armageddon can be brought about by reading the Great Destroyer's true name aloud from the Tome, something which the Stone Summit attempted to do six years ago, in the depths of Sorrow's Furnace, before it was retrieved by High Priest Alkar, its secrets safe again. Somehow it was dug up around six years later and the true name of the Great Destroyer was read.

The Tome of the Rubicon is an ancient book, written by the Great Dwarf himself, that tells how the Dwarven race was forged by their god on Anvil Rock. It describes the ancient battle between the Dwarven deity and the Great Destroyer, his arch-nemesis. However, not only does it contain lore on Dwarven past, but an ancient prophecy that details the Dwarven equivalent of the apocalypse, where the ancient battle of the two gods will be repeated, and no matter what the outcome, changing (or ending) the Dwarven race in the process forever.

This armageddon can be brought about by reading the Great Destroyer's true name aloud from the Tome, something which the Stone Summit attempted to do six years ago, in the depths of Sorrow's Furnace, before it was retrieved by High Priest Alkar, its secrets safe again. Somehow it was dug up around six years later and the true name of the Great Destroyer was read.
[edit] Acquisition

The Tome of the Rubicon can be found:
* Prophecies / Southern Shiverpeaks - Hierophant Morlog

Quests
* Prophecies - Unspeakable, Unknowable

Trivia
* This item is always referred to as the Tome of Rubicon when in the context of Guild Wars: Eye of the North, in which it is a significant plot device.
* It bears the same emblem as the guild cape for Ascalon's Chosen. But this symbol has likely no significance, as its model is used by several bundles.

* The Tome of Rubicon says "The Great Destroyer has been cast down into the depths. Never again shall its name be uttered, lest it rise up and bring ruin to the world." (GW:EN manuscript)

Oud 3 september 2009, 23:38   #4
Didis
Guild Leader (LLL)

Didis's schermafbeelding

Bahltek

Bahltek
From Guild Wars Wiki

Bahltek
Type Human
Level(s) 1, 5, 20 (22)
Campaign Nightfall
Bahltek is a mysterious NPC who is seen appearing randomly across the island of Istan. He has a different dialogue tree based on the region in which he appears.

Locations
* Istan
o Fahranur, The First City
o Lahtenda Bog
o Mehtani Keys
o Zehlon Reach

Dialogue

In Fahranur, The First City:

"I am exceedingly preoccupied with contentious matters, is this urgent?"

Do you need any help? This is a dangerous region for someone traveling alone.

"Unlike weaker souls, I am able to safeguard my person without employing ungainly forged chitin and sharpened lengths of metal. I require none of your cumbersome aid, I assure you."

I was wondering why you're wandering through this area.

"How interesting for you."

Okay. Maybe you can take care of yourself. Tell me, why are you here?

"You're still here? Pfegh, I feel as though I am conversing with an inebriated waterfowl. I see the penchant to prove oneself a nuisance is still a talent cultivated by simple folk. What a waste. Very well. If it will extricate me from your unwanted attentions, there are items that hold a certain archemetrical infusion... sorry, you would say "power." People who understand the usage of vicissitudinous items, such as me, desire to obtain them for reasons you could not possibly understand. Trust me, your mind is just too small."

Umm... so... why are you here?

"I have temporarily ceased my trek at this particular locale because one of the indigenous quarries is in the process of excavating directly into the site of an ancient... well, never you mind that... Let me merely state that delving into this... primeval... site will uncover some very interesting artifacts. The excavators are far too purile to have an interest in such goods, and I've come to appropriate the items."

What do these artifacts do?

"I misspoke earlier. I meant to say that you sound like a mentally impeded waterfowl who has suffered multiple, self-inflicted head traumas. Your thoughts dive in shallow ponds. Hah, yes! A clearer picture there. I desire knowledge. Names. Places. Events. All of it! This intellectual discourse has all been written down on ancient scrolls. The certain scroll I am searching for deals with a place of Nightmare, and the terrible beings that dwell there. Are you frightened yet, little one? You should be. But now, leave me. Our interlocution has reached the limits of efficacy. Or in the colloquial language of you simple folk... and any meaning or purpose was non-extant for me from the outset... go away."

So you came to this area to find a magical object? What kind of object exactly?

"They belonged to a most effulgent mage from an exceptionnaly advanced civilization. He was able to traverse through multiple planes of existence, some of which predate the one you currently call your native soil. No, I won't tell you more. No, you can't fetch anything for me. No, I don't need your help at all, thank you. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have "big person" quandaries to ruminate over."

In Lahtenda Bog:

"Normally, I require the aide of significant and cryptic incantations to predict the future, but I must be growing more powerful by the day. Even without them, I knew you were going to bother me.

Let me save us both the trouble... you want to know why I'm here, correct? Ah, how suprising.

I'm trying to view the stars for some investigations I am conducting. No, don't ask any questions, I'll tell you more without your pedantic babble. Hearing you stumble around trying to command the simplest spoken phraseology is simply too frustrating for me.

The gods can be seen in the heavens... to varying degrees. They've emblazoned their marks upon the firmament, and these marks are not constant. As per established parameters, I'm sure this is entirely comprehensible and beneficial knowledge to you. How very clever you are."

In Mehtani Keys:

"Excuse me, were you attempting some form of human discourse?"

What brings an old man like you out to the keys?

"Oh for goodness sake... if I lie to you, will you go away? Very well. I need the sun."

No, seriously, why are you here?

"I implore you to keep your voice to a less vexatious shrill.

Why am I here? Fine, if it will make you move on. Water is powerful; more powerful, I'm sure, than you realize. It can be used as a mirror to see into places that are magically obscured. As you can see, we are surrounded by the viscous substance, and I happen to have a bowl. I will leave it to your dizzyingly vigorous intellect to put together that parcel of information to your own avail. Now... please.. leave me alone!"

In Zehlon Reach:

"Oh my goodness. Look at this! I'm an adventurer! And Look. Why, there's someone moving through the wilderness, obviously studying something important enough to warrant the expenditure of effort required to wrench them from their place of residence. Quick, whatever shall I do? I know! Let's perambulate over to their locale and harass them with annoying and completely unrelated questions so they can't get any work done! Oh, goody, goody."

Sorry, I was just wondering why you were...

"Here? Yes, I know, I know. Why am I here? Why am I not running around, searching for shiny objects, killing helpless monsters, plying my trade as an adventurer to help the weak and defeat the big, bad, wicked evildoers? I shall tell you, if only it will make you go away.

I've heard rumors of a spirit ship sighted just off this coast. Yes, an authentic, bona fide, ghost ship. Why don't you swim out and visit it? Too bad. In any case, there are dimensions out there other than the one we currently inhabit. This ship is clearly an echo of one of those dimensions.

I am simply trying to gather the information as to why a spirit ship would be seen in this area. Did I say that simply enough for you? Good. Off you go."

In all locations, attempting to talk to Bahltek a second time will have him respond with:

"You are not important enough to keep my attention."

Notes

* Bahltek appears to spawn in the regions at random.
* The mage he refers to in the Fahranur dialogue is quite possibly Lord Odran.
* In Mehtani Keys, he might be referring to a Scrying Pool.

Oud 3 september 2009, 23:56   #5
Didis
Guild Leader (LLL)

Didis's schermafbeelding

undeciphered Asuran banner

Arrow The Languages Of Tyria: One left undiscovered!
Intro:
So I was browsing around the wiki looking at the images for the written language of Ascalon to see if any runes matched with the Elonian alphabet when I stumbled upon a lead language creators page. Mr Matthew Medina.
Here's the specific excerpt that caught my eye.

Citaat:
As Guild Wars has evolved so have the languages - so far I haven't seen that anyone has translated the 100 or so Canthan symbols. One word of caution though - not EVERY language in the original Guild Wars universe actually translates into anything - I believe I was the only artist on the team that actually made readable languages, so some of the runes, glyphs and scripts you see in the game will be just for "show"
So in an effort to find out if the work of me and two of my guild mates and fellow loreites Gmr Leon and Konig Des Todes was all in vain I asked if he could provide a list of which languages were nonsensical.
His reply was
Citaat:
As far as I have seen, all of the languages that CAN be translated HAVE been translated. Ascalonian has it's own page here on the wiki, as does Canthan. The other languages you see will most likely be untranslatable. The specific example you cited is just such a prop - the scriptures of those banners and pillars are not developed languages, but simply aesthetic choices.
There is only one "language" that has escaped detection thus far, which I can understand being that it only appears on ONE particular prop in Eye of the North. And honestly, if anyone can find this prop, and decipher the text just based on that single piece of art, I might just have to send them something ultra-cool!
So with our current researched dashed it seems we have a whole new thing that has been brought to our attention. While this doesn't mean mean there is definitely only ONE left (Matthew is only human and he could be mistaken or misinformed) this IS a confirmation that there is a prop in EoTN just laying around waiting to be deciphered! In my opinion the first order of business should be likely places this prop could be. While exploring have YOU seen anything that would be a candidate? What places would you suggest. After we have a list of suggested places I think we should discuss organizing an expedition to scour Eye of the North. What say you?

Lees hier de suggesties die sommige in de community hebben gedaan:
http://guildwars.incgamers.com/showt...=485041&page=2

Oud 3 september 2009, 23:57   #6
Didis
Guild Leader (LLL)

Didis's schermafbeelding

Giganticus Lupicus

Giganticus Lupicus
From Guild Wars Wiki

According to scholars, the Giganticus Lupicus, also known as "True Giants," were beings that walked the soil of Tyria long before the Forgotten were brought to world by the gods. Little is known about the giants other than what can be inferred from their gigantic remains that lay scattered about Tyria. There are several that can be found deep within Charr territory north of Great Northern Wall, and many more within the Crystal Desert.
[edit] Notes
  • Those who study the fossils of these creatures often refer to them by their scientific name, Giganticus Lupicus, while others call them "Great Giants" and "True Giants."
  • It is estimated they became extinct around 10,000 BE.
  • The giant skeletons located throughout the Crystal Desert, Ascalon, Southern and Far Shiverpeaks, the Charr Homelands, The Desolation, and Tarnished Coast are suspected to be the remains of the Great Giants.
  • Although the cause of their extinction has not been confirmed, The Movement of the World implies that it may have been caused by the Ancient Dragons.

Oud 4 september 2009, 00:30   #7
death sligher
Special LLL friend

death sligher's schermafbeelding

Naam: ivo

IGN: death sligher
Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Didis Bekijk bericht
Lees hier de suggesties die sommige in de community hebben gedaan:
http://guildwars.incgamers.com/showt...=485041&page=2
Ik heb effe zitte kijken mis zijn het muziek noten dacht ik. Kunnen maatstrepen zijn. Een andere mogelijk is dat men de y als Gamma moet lezen. Mis zijn er nog andere letters ook zo afleidbaar.
In iedergeval als men leest gata el vertaald google dit als spaans en betekent het in het engels: the cat . Mis eens verder naar kijken nu te laat en mis kunnen andere meehelpen het te ontcijferen. zo lastig kan het niet zijn toch .
death sligher is offline   Met citaat reageren
Oud 4 september 2009, 15:22   #8
death sligher
Special LLL friend

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door death sligher Bekijk bericht
Ik heb effe zitte kijken mis zijn het muziek noten dacht ik. Kunnen maatstrepen zijn. Een andere mogelijk is dat men de y als Gamma moet lezen. Mis zijn er nog andere letters ook zo afleidbaar.
In iedergeval als men leest gata el vertaald google dit als spaans en betekent het in het engels: the cat . Mis eens verder naar kijken nu te laat en mis kunnen andere meehelpen het te ontcijferen. zo lastig kan het niet zijn toch .
edit: Ik denk dat het woorden zijn die met muziekmaten worden gescheiden. En mogelijk zijn er griekseletters gebruikt en moeten die dan ook nog eens vertaald worden als je het ontcijfert hebt.
Oud 4 september 2009, 15:25   #9
PzychoGoth
LLL Officer

PzychoGoth's schermafbeelding

Naam: Thomas

IGN: Pzy the Industrial
Runenschrift kwam als eerst bij mij op.
Maar ik zat ook richting de oosterse kant te kijken:
In Chinees kan bijvoorbeeld 1 teken meerdere dingen betekenen (zo heeft ook iemand daar gereplied)
De vertaling naar The forge sent her, linked meer naar Dwarfs dan naar Asura.

Ook zullen we rekening moeten houden met scheve zinnen (bijvoeglijke en zelfstandige naamwoorden omgedraaid etc.) omdat dit in veel talen verschilt van elkaar.
Persoonlijk zoek ik er niet veel achter maar ontcijferingen zijn cool :P.
Oud 4 september 2009, 17:23   #10
death sligher
Special LLL friend

eerste regel is de regel met de q vooraan en tweede de andere regel ben niet helemaal uit de letters nog maar als men de letter plus y als een g leest van gamma en de andere y's als y krijg ik al een aardig zinnetje uit.
Misschien wijst dit op de charr die guns krijgen in gw2?

.. gata el ya
gya.. balas ya

... the cat and
gya.. bullets and

Laatst gewijzigd door death sligher; 4 september 2009 om 17:34
Reageren

Discussietools

Regels voor berichten